Saturday, January 18, 2014

Leave Your Guns At Home

As New Trier students and staff returned to school after an extended Winter Break, small laminated signs of a handgun surrounded by a red circle with a line through the center greeted everyone as we made our way inside. Nice way to start the day, eh?
After researching the origins of these signs, I found that the signs relate to the Illinois conceal and carry law, which took affect on January 1st this year. The conceal and carry law allows a citizen with a conceal carry permit to carry a firearm as protection. However, even with a conceal and carry permit, you are not allowed to bring a firearm into most public place like libraries, hospitals, sport stadiums, and zoos. 

I was also surprised to find out that Illinois was actually the last state in the country to pass a law that allows citizens to obtain a concealed carry permit. As long as you are 21 or older, have a valid Firearm Owners Identification Card, complete a 16-hour training course and pass a background check, you are able to get a concealed carry permit for $150.

Personally, I find it to be ridiculous that a citizens are now allowed to carry a concealed weapon even after hearing about all of the tragedies and school shootings that have happened as a result of gun misuse. Although most New Trier students could probably care less about the signs on the front of the school doors, I think the conceal and carry law will do more harm than benefit and that there is no need for the law.

2 comments:

  1. Great blog Josh! I too noticed the signs on the school doors (it's hard not too) and am glad to finally have some explanation as to why they were put up. I am also not in favor of the law, but I think that could be because I live in such a safe area. I can understand how say, a parent living in a neighborhood where crime rates were high would want to have a firearm as a means of security and protection. So although I'm opposed to it, I'm not sure how much that is worth considering I have never been in a position where I didn't feel safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Erik! I agree with you that most people who live in areas with low crime rates are unlikely to need a gun as protection, so the new law will probably not have much of an effect on our area.

    ReplyDelete