Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Help for the Homeless

After reading one of my fellow American Studies classmate, Charlie Bunge's, blog post entitled, "Recent Cold Snap Descends on the Homeless," my eyes were opened to the plight of the homeless. I agree with Charlie that many people our age (in high school) are excited about the extremely cold weather because it means that we get a few more days added to Winter Break. However, while we are enjoying the extended break, the extremely cold weather is taking a great toll on the homeless. I think the majority of people who live in the suburbs may not really know (or avoid thinking about) the challenges of homeless people because there is little exposure to homeless people especially in high-income areas like the North Shore.

Although most people who live in the suburbs do not see many homeless people in their area, it does not mean that they do not exist. I think one of the most important things to do during especially hard times like this for the homeless is to spread awareness. I am sure that if more people knew about the amount of homeless people in their area, they would be more willing to help.

Thinking about the poor homeless people reminds me of the amazing story of Jimmy Mirikitani the Japanese artist who lost and was separated from his family and friends in the internment camps for Japanese-Americans during WW2. I was very moved by the hardships that Mr. Mirikitani went through in his life. To be honest, I would never have given him a second look if I saw him on a street corner in NYC. The movie helped me to see that homeless people are much more than, "homeless people," they are human beings and they are in need of help. Especially now with the "polar vortex" and decisions are being made on unemployment-aid, we need to show support and imagine what a huge difference a small good deed could do to help the homeless and unemployed get back on their feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment