Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Done With JT!!!!

Sorry this post is a little delayed. I am still getting over the fact that our American Studies class just finished the Junior Theme--the paper that is made out to be the single most important thing you will do during your time as a New Trier student.

Clearly, the Junior Theme has been a bit over exaggerated. To be honest, I think the reason I am still in disbelief that we finished the Junior Theme is because it was really not that much different from any other paper I have written at New Trier. The only major difference I can think of is the research. I definitely feel that I did more research on my topic (domestic and sexual violence on Native American reservations) and that I know more about my topic than for any other research project I have done.

Another difference between the Junior Theme and other papers I have written is that I conducted interviews with experts on my subject. I feel extremely lucky to have had the opportunity to interview Dr. Jane Palmer, a professor on domestic violence at American University, as well as Mr. Bruce Duthu, a professor of Native American studies at Dartmouth. I cannot express how much the interviews helped me to take my understanding of my topic to another level. Besides the interesting insight I got from both interviewees, I was also sent many new sources from my interviewees, which were a great help in my research.

Though there were definitely times when the Junior Theme was frustrating and overwhelming, I feel that I had a unique opportunity to explore a topic that I am genuinely interested in and to become somewhat of a "mini-scholar" on my subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment